Allen Street Gates
These gates symbolize the demarcation between town and campus. Early in Penn State’s history, this was the main entrance to the campus, for Allen Street continued north through what is today the tree-lined Pattee Mall. Opposite the gates, Allen Street intersected with College Avenue, the town’s primary business thoroughfare. The core of the State College commercial district formed around this bustling intersection. The gates are a gift of Penn State’s class of 1916. Class gifts are a tradition dating back to 1892, and can be seen all over the campus. For example, along the sidewalk east of the Allen Street gates is a stone wall, a gift of the class of 1915 and a popular gathering place for generations of students.