Home to Penn State Nittany Lions football, Beaver Stadium ranks among the largest facilities of its kind in the nation. It can seat nearly 108,000 fans, helping to make State College Pennsylvania’s third-largest city on game days. The stadium has undergone several major expansions since it was moved from its former site near Rec Hall, on the west side of campus, after the 1959 season. Lights were added in 1984. The stadium honors former governor and Civil War general James A. Beaver, who served for 24 years as head of Penn State’s board of trustees, during which time he earned enormous popularity among the student body.