Located on the first floor of Penn State’s Food Science Building, the Berkey Creamery processes milk and manufactures ice cream and other dairy products. Its retail sales room hand-dips more than 750,000 ice cream cones and bowls each year, and is a favorite spot for students, returning alumni, and visitors. The Creamery also provides dairy products for University food services, and researchers use its facilities to study the effects of processing and storage on a dairy product’s microbiological makeup, nutritional value, and flavor. Penn State has had a creamery operation continuously since 1865. This is the fifth location, and its name honors Earl and Jeanne Berkey, whose generous lead gift helped make the current facility possible.