Nittany Lion Shrine
Carved from a 13-ton block of Indiana limestone by renowned sculptor Heinz Warneke [WAR neh key], the Nittany Lion Shrine is the most photographed site on campus. It was completed in 1942 as a gift to Penn State from the class of 1940. By portraying the Nittany Lion as a mountain lion, Warneke helped define the mascot’s image for later generations of Penn Staters. The shrine was located here because of its proximity to the Nittany Lion Inn and so many athletic venues. Rec Hall, across the street, hosted basketball, wrestling, and other sporting events. Beaver Field, near the site of today’s Kern Building, was home to Nittany Lions football. Facilities for baseball, tennis, and golf also were nearby. New lighting, landscaping, and pathways were added to the shrine in 2013, thanks to a gift from the class of 2012.